Grab a piece of paper and a pen, will you? I want you to do something for me.
Right now, I want you to write down three things you can do, starting today, or, OK, tomorrow at the latest, to improve your nutrition. Just three things. They don’t have to be big things. Here’s a few pretty universal suggestions to get you thinking:
- Eat at least one serving of a vegetable and/or fruit with every meal or snack.
- Bake, grill, roast or broil foods instead of frying them.
- Don’t eat when watching television.
Only, don’t write them that way. Write them like this:
- I eat at least one serving of a vegetable and/or fruit with every meal or snack.
- I don’t fry my foods anymore…and I feel so much better!
- I don’t eat when watching television. I just don’t do it!
What you have here are affirmations. Now, when you settle on your three, and have them written the way you want them, you’re going to copy them down on a 3×5 card, or a Post-it, or some piece of paper that’s easy to carry in your wallet, where you can see it easily. You’re going to read these goals/affirmations at least once a day. Ideally more!
Do you want to really, really go for it? Write out a copy of your goals/affirmations every day. You don’t have to keep the paper you copy them on…it’s the physical + mental combo of doing the writing that will help burn them into your brain and make them part of you.
Sound silly? Yeah, well, try it anyway. I dare you. No, I double dog dare you!