Since the Seattle ABC affiliate saw tragically fit to not air Jamie Oliver’s Food Revolution on Friday (which I didn’t know until I actually turned on the TV to watch it), Jeff and I ended up watching it online Sunday evening. Imagine our shock and horror to find that, nearly to a one, every single commercial was for processed food.
Blanched Fettuccini (Water, Semolina, Wheat Gluten), Skim Milk, Cooked White Meat Chicken (White Meat Chicken, Water, Modified Tapioca Starch, Chicken Flavor [Dried Chicken Broth, Chicken Powder, Natural Flavor], Carrageenan, Whey Protein Concentrate, Soybean Oil, Corn Syrup Solids, Sodium Phosphate, Salt), Broccoli, Carrots, Soybean Oil, Water, Red Peppers, Parmesan Cheese (Cultured Milk, Salt, Enzymes), 2% or Less of Asiago Cheese (Cultured Milk, Salt, Enzymes), Modified Cornstarch, Sea Salt, Romano Cheese ([Made from Cow’s Milk], Pasteurized Milk, Cheese Culture, Salt, Enzymes), Enzyme Modified Parmesan Cheese (Cultured Milk, Water, Salt, Enzymes), Sugar, Seasoning (Maltodextrin, Flavor, Enzyme Modified Butterfat), Extra Virgin Olive Oil, Whey Protein Concentrate, Salt, Potassium Chloride, Lactose (Contains Milk), Datem, Spice, Xanthan Gum, Lactic Acid, Calcium Lactate, Seasoning (Wheat Starch, Extracts of Annatto and Turmeric Color, Natural Flavor).
- Don’t really want to step up to the plate (so to speak) and actually prepare a healthy meal that didn’t come in a box, or
- Think that these processed foods being advertised are truly healthy, either because of the healthy-sounding buzzwords in the ad itself, or because it’s being advertised during Jamie’s show (as if he was endorsing these foods, which I’m quite sure he’s not). The “health halo” effect, in action.
- Remove feathery leaves and stalks of the fennel. Slice off root end and discard it. Discard any discolored or damaged outer layers.
- Thinly slice the fennel bulb crosswise. If the bulb is large, you may want to first cut the bulb in half lengthwise.
- Place fennel slices in bowl. Section the oranges into the bowl. Stir in the lemon juice and olive oil. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Cover and refrigerate for at least 20 minutes, or until ready to serve.