Happy Friday! What are you up to this weekend? Last minute holiday shopping. My holidays are already starting, because part of my family celebrates Christmas Eve the weekend before Christmas (as all of the cousins got married, there was more competition for who would spend the actual holiday where, so this became a permanent solution). I’ll probably do a little shopping, too. In the meantime, there were some darn good nutrition-related stories this week, and here’s my pick of the litter:
- I’ve known for some time that the knowledge (by industry, and some scientists) that trans fats were bad news far, far preceded the official backlash against them. But I had not heard of the scientist, Fred Kummerow, who more than 50 years ago began “A lifelong fight against trans fats.” Thank you New York Times for this excellent article!
- I used to live in a subdivision on what was once a farm, but, alas, it looked nothing like this picture painted by NPR: “Forget golf courses: Subdivisions draw residents with farms.”
- Tips for keeping this festive season joyful: “Self-care as a strategy for the holidays.”
- OK, this was funny: “What to eat according to Twitter.”
- Good thing I have some quality time in my basement weight room planned after I’m done writing this post: “You’re never to old to exercise. A 98-year-old shows us why.”
- And one more from Jennifer Lawrence: “‘It should be illegal to call somebody fat on TV’“
Have a wonderful weekend!