Happy Friday! For those readers who live in the greater Seattle area, wouldn’t you agree that we’ve been experiencing August in June? I mean, we haven’t had measurable rain since Memorial Day weekend…this is crazy (and I don’t even want to see my next water bill). I think about people who have recently moved to the area and think, “What do they mean it rains in Seattle? Seattle has awesome weather!” Well, Seattle generally does have awesome summers, but summer usually doesn’t start until July 5! Of course, I have a long-planned trip to Portlandia this weekend, where it will be 100 degrees to Seattle’s 90. Awesome.
- What this weekend needs: iced green tea.
- Genetically modified salmon. Coming to a river near you?
- Nation’s health groups oppose appropriations riders aimed at gutting Dietary Guidelines for Americans. (See my related blog post from Saturday.)
- Tulane spreads “food as medicine” gospel to med schools nationally. (Because, duh, food and health are related.)
- The real reason General Mills will cut fake flavors from cereals like Trix and Lucky Charms. (Hint: to make them appear healthier…”No Artificial Colors!”…even though they really aren’t.)
- Dynamic duos: How to get more nutrition by pairing foods.
- A new way to get more anti-inflammatory turmeric in your diet: smoothies.
- A better way to put strawberries into salad (it involves bacon).
Have a fabulous weekend, and stay cool! (I mean that in the temperature sense, not the goofy “will you sign my middle school yearbook” sense.)