Happy Friday! I’m looking forward to a long weekend of not leaving my house (other than to walk the dog and maybe continue my late-winter garden cleanup). I plan to fully cook from my pantry, fridge and freezer…I have enough produce on hand and more than enough of everything else. I selected a handful of recipes from Ann Taylor Pittman’s Everyday Whole Grains that I’m excited to try and already have all the ingredients for (or appropriate substitutions). But before then, some nutrition news for your weekend reading:
- 5 words you should stop using when you talk about food.
- Sell by? Use by? Grocery industry moves to simplify labels.
- Related to my fitness tracker article from a few weeks ago: Health apps could be doing more harm than good, warn scientists.
- Sales fall again in Mexico’s second year of taxing soda, and the situation appears to be similar in Philadelphia.
- Vegetables for patio gardens are more abundant than ever.
- My latest On Nutrition column in The Seattle Times, “Beyond nutrition: Looking at when, why, where and how you eat.”
- Need a weekend breakfast idea? These breakfast grain bowls with caramelized bananas look yummy.
- Finally, for your weekend viewing: Keeping Up With the Kattarshians. You’re welcome, and the kittens say, “Meow.”
Have a good weekend, and cross your fingers for no snow (at least not in the city)!