Happy Friday! I think it’s going to be a good weekend to stay indoors (other than going for a walk). Cold, grey and drippy, it appears. Perfect weather for cooking (from my pantry) and writing…and continuing the let’s-make-our-basement-look-less-like-an-episode-of-Hoarders project (our planned garage sale in April can’t happen soon enough). I’ve also been reading more fiction in the last two weeks. I used to read a lot of fiction, but that tapered off when I went back to grad school, and never fully picked back up (I read a lot of non-fiction). However, as collective anxiety levels seem to have increased since January 20, I find that allowing my brain to dive into a fictional world is a most pleasant distraction when everything else feels like it’s just too much. Even if the political news is stressful, this nutrition news, hopefully, is not!
- I thought this was lovely: 10 questions to ask yourself every night.
- Is meat manly? How society pressures us to make gendered food choices.
- The ‘doctor’ behind the alkaline diet is facing jail time. (This did not make me sad.)
- The sweat and strain of weightlifting is like meditation for me. (See, you can find mindfulness anywhere.)
- 5-ingredient recipes are tempting. To bad they’re based on a lie.
- Why do cooks love the instant pot? (I need to pull mine back out of the cabinet!)
- My latest On Nutrition column in The Seattle Times: “Avoiding gluten? Odds are you shouldn’t.”
- And, I’m excited to be speaking at the Washington State Academy for Nutrition and Dietetics conference in April!
- And, this is what I’ll be watching on Valentine’s Day:
Have a good weekend!